I am a Professor with Wangxuan Institute of Computer Technology (WICT, formerly known as Institute of Computer Science and Technology),
Peking University (PKU), China. I received B.S. in Information Sciences from Department of Information Management of PKU in 2000, M.S. and Ph.D. in Computer Science from Department of Computer Science and Technology of PKU in 2003 and 2006 respectively.
My major research interests include Text Mining and Natural Language Processing. I am broadly interested in several research topics including document summarization, text generation, sentiment analysis, semantic computing, document recommendation and bibliometric analysis.
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Paper Award, IJCAI 2018
- Outstanding Paper Award, ACL 2017
- Tsang Hin-chi Faculty Fellowship Award, 2019
- PKU Teaching Excellence Award, 2019
- PKU Industry-Academy-Research (ChanXueYan) Cooperation Award, 2019
- PKU Yang&Wang Faculty Fellowship Award, 2018
- CCF NLPCC Distinguished Young Scientist, 2017
- CAAI WUWENJUN Technical Innovation Award, 2017
- IBM Faculty Award, 2015
- PKU Baosteel Faculty Fellowship Award, 2013
- PKU "WangXuan" Young Investigator Award, 2010
- Best Reviewer, EMNLP 2010
- Excellent Doctoral Dissertation of PKU, 2009
- PKU P&G Faculty Fellowship Award, 2008
- Recipient of Beijing Nova Program, 2008
- Recipient of The MOE Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University (NCET), 2008
Selected Academic Services
- Action Editor: TACL (2019-)
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Computer Science and Technology (2020-2023), Natural Language Engineering (2019-), Computational Linguistics (2016-2018)
- PC Chair: EMNLP-IJCNLP 2019
- Area Chair: EMNLP 2020 (SAC), ACL 2020, AACL/IJCNLP 2020, ACL 2019, EMNLP 2018, NAACL-HLT 2018, IJCNLP 2017, NAACL-HLT 2016, ACL-IJCNLP 2015, ACL 2011, IJCNLP 2011
- Senior PC Member(SPC): IJCAI-PRICAI 2020, AAAI 2020, IJCAI 2019, AAAI 2019, IJCAI-ECAI 2018, IJCAI 2016
- Best Paper Committee: EMNLP 2015
- Standing Reviewing Committee: TACL (2014~2019)
- Workshop Organizer: ACL Workshop on Multilingual Modeling (MM-2012)
- Evaluation Chair: NLPCC 2012~2018
Shared Tasks and Evaluations
- XiaoKe : A cross-language news generation system for generating scientific news stories about the latest discoveries from the world's leading science journals. The system has been deployed in China Science Daily and you can see examples here. You can refer to the news report to know more about XiaoKe.
- XiaoNan : A data-to-text generation system for writing people's livelihood news. The system has been deployed in Southern Metropolis Daily and it can write news articles in various domains, including weather reports, train tickets, etc. See examples here.
- PKUWriter : A system for constructing sports news from live text commentary (paper). The technology has been transferred to Toutiao's AI reporter - Xiaomingbot and further used by Guangmingwang in the GuangMing AI reporter.
- PKUSUMSUM : A Java platform for multilingual document summarization (link)
- Web Data Mining (Undergraduate course, Fall 2011~2019)
- Semantic Computing and Knowledge Retrieval (Postgraduate course, Fall 2011~2014, Spring 2016~2020)
- Social Media Measurement (Postgraduate course, Co-directed with Prof. Xiuli Wang, Spring 2016, 2018, 2019)
- PhD students: Ke Wang, Zi Chai, Hui Liu
- Master students (including co-advised and visiting students): Tianming Wang, Hongyu Zang, Xinyu Xing, Lixin Liu, Zhiwei Yu, Minghao Chen, Zefeng Lin, Hanqi Jin, Yue Cao, Shaowei Yao, Yitao Cai, Zhe Lin
- PhD: Xiaojiang Huang(Microsoft), Jin-ge Yao(MSRA), Xinjie Zhou(Microsoft), Jiwei Tan(Alibaba)
- MS: Tengfei Ma(IBM), Liqiang Guo(Microsoft), Houping Jia(IBM), Shanshan Huang(China Life Insurance), Xuewei Tang(WeCash), Yue Hu(Alibaba), Su Yan(Alibaba), Yantao Du(Naturali), Shiyang Wen(Alibaba), Yang Yu(An Army Unit), Xun Zhang(IA,CAS), Jianmin Zhang(Pony.ai), Kui Xu(JD), Junjie Cao(Alibaba)
- I have also worked with many diligent, honest and talented undergraduate students.
Last Updated: April 2020. Visitor number: